The Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society makes claim to being the oldest golf club in the world. This medal is from the club's 1894 Autumn tournament, which occurred in October at Musselburgh - shortly before the club moved to its own Willie Park Jr. designed course in 1895. Then, the club received its Royal designation and became Royal Burgess in 1928 - a full 34 years after this medal was awarded.
In 1894, the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society had two formal competitions - one non-handicap tournament in the spring for a gold medal that had to be returned to the club, and one handicap tournament held the first week of October for a silver medal, which the winner got to keep. The winner of the offered medal was a gentleman named A.B. Doughty.
This exceptionally ornate and large medal measures 3 1/2" tall and 2 1/4" wide.