For centuries, the splice neck was the primary method used to attach wood heads to shafts. However, the concept of splicing an iron head to its shaft has been found only in irons designed and patented by one clubmaker - Frank Murray of Edinburgh, Scotland. The Clubmaker's Art (2nd Ed.) by Jeffery B. Ellis.
Murray received a patent for his splice neck iron in April 1910. This circa 1910 putter is marked "The F. Murray", and includes the patent information on the clubhead. The "star" trademark stamped on the blade identified William Gibson as the maker of this clubhead.
This fine club measures 33 1/2".